Movers Can Transport Your Firearms.
If you are moving into or out of Florida, movers can legally move your firearms.
A person who lawfully possesses firearms may transport or ship the firearms interstate when changing the person’s state of residence so long as the person complies with the requirements for shipping and transporting firearms as found in 18 U.S.C. §922(e) and 27 CFR §478.31.
Written Notice Required
In order to comply with 18 U.S.C. §922(e) and 27 CFR §478.31 written notice to the carrier is required. Said notice must inform the carrier that they are shipping a firearm or ammunition. Upon delivery of the firearms, you must provide a receipt to the carrier.
SPECIAL CARE FOR NFA ITEMS
Prior to moving NFA items, you must request permission from the Director of the ATF in duplicate. The request must provide:
(1) A complete description and identification of the device or weapon.
(2) A statement whether such transportation involves a transfer of title.
(3) The need for such transportation.
(4) The approximate date such transportation is to take place.
(5) The present location of such device or weapon and the place to which it is to be transported.
(6) The mode of transportation to be used (including, if by common or contract carrier, the name and address of such carrier).
(7) Evidence that the transportation or possession of such device or weapon is not inconsistent with the laws at the place of destination.
Once you have permission from the ATF, Movers can legally transport your NFA items and firearms.
Check the Laws of your Destination
Finally, check state and local laws of the destination state prior to moving. This will ensure that the movement of the firearms into the new state does not violate any state law or local ordinance. Click here for our quick reference guide to Florida Gun Law. Click here to read about getting your CWFL when you move to Florida.
We are here to help!
The Expert Firearm Attorneys at The Firearm Firm are here to help. Further, our primary goal is to keep gun owners legal. If you have any firearm related questions, visit our website. There, you can search our knowledge base, or leave a question for us to answer. The Firearm Firm is a statewide Second Amendment and Self-Defense law firm.