About Expert Firearm Attorney James D. Phillips
James D. Phillips is a former prosecutor from Escambia and Seminole County, Florida. Mr. Phillips is an aggressive trial attorney, who uses his knowledge and experience as a prosecutor to zealously advocate for his clients. He has represented individuals in State and Federal court charged with misdemeanors, felonies, sex crimes, violent crimes, felonies punishable by life and murder.
Mr. Phillips is an NRA Certified Firearms Instructor and Wrote the Book on Florida Gun Law
In 2017, Mr. Phillips became an NRA Certified Firearms Instructor and NRA Range Safety Officer. Currently, Mr. Phillips is certified by the NRA as an instructor in the following disciplines:
- Basic Pistol
- Concealed Carry
- Personal Protection Inside the Home
- Personal Protection Outside the Home.
Mr. Phillips co-authored Florida Gun Law: Armed and Educated which is in its third edition and co-author of The Ongoing Gun Control Debate published by Thomas Reuter/Aspatore. Mr. Phillips is a member of the NRA, Florida Carry, National Association for Gun Rights, Second Amendment Foundation, Florida Gun Rights, Firearms Policy Coalition, and Florida Sports Shooting Association
Author and Lecturer
Mr. Phillips routinely lectures at seminars throughout the State of Florida. He lectures on Self-Defense, Justifiable Use of Force, Castle Doctrine and Stand Your Ground. Also, Mr. Phillips speaks at various national seminars throughout the country. Further, Mr. Phillips has taught and trained attorneys throughout the country on jury selection, cross-examination and trial strategies in criminal trials. Mr. Phillips is a published author on topics regarding DUI Defense, Jury Selection, Plea Bargaining, Cross-Examination, and Trial Strategy. Mr. Phillips is Board Certified in DUI Defense by the National College of DUI Defense (only 1 of 4 in the State of Florida).
Mr. Phillips’ Awards and Accolades
- Receiving an “AV” rating from Martindale-Hubbell, the highest rating available since 2019.
- Super Lawyers – Rising Star from 2013 – 2017 (less than 2.5% of all attorneys receive this honor).
- Inclusion in the Super Lawyers -Super Lawyer Edition 2021.
- Client Distinction Award from Martindale-Hubbell 2013-2017 (less than 1% of the more than 900,000 attorneys listed nationwide on Martindale-Hubbell sites receive this award).
- Recognized as one of Central Florida’s Top 100 Trial Lawyers by the National Trial Lawyers each year since 2013.
- Florida’s Top 40 under 40 by the National Trial Lawyers each year from 2013-2017.
- Featured as one of Central Florida’s Legal Elite by Orlando Style Magazine in 2014.
- Included in Strathmore Who’s Who
- Avvo’s 2017 Client Choice Award
State and Federal Bar Admissions
- Florida State Bar
- Tennessee State Bar
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Texas
Statewide Firearm Attorney for U.S. LawShield
Mr. Phillips is a Florida statewide firearm attorney for U.S. LawShield, Firearm Owner’s Protection Program. In this capacity, Mr. Phillips and his partner David S. Katz represent over 45,000 gun owners throughout the state of Florida in firearm-related matters.
Get in touch
"*" indicates required fields